telephone call between me and Friend:
- Friend: What’s up, dude? What’re you up to?
- Carlos: Not much, working with Trey on some SXSW stuff again.
- Friend: You’re shooting right now?
- Carlos: No, I’m working on…I’m LITERALLY working on SXSW.
- Friend: What the fuck does that even mean?
- Carlos: I’ll send you a picture.
- Friend: Naw, that’s cool, just wanted to see if you were hungry.
- Carlos: Oh, we just ate, actually.
- Friend: Fine, fuck you.
- Carlos: Call you later.
- Friend: Cool.
—Anyway, here are the pics I was talking to Friend about. That is Trey’s “Look at me, Dad!” face.
This was made from the logo SXSW is using this year. We have a SXSW video shoot in a couple of days with Joe Nicolosi again, and were asked to design some lettering that either looked like metal or was in fact metal, but were only given a $40 art budget. So, we went to Home Depot, bought some Foam Insulation Sheets, wood glue, hack-saw blades, latex primer, and metallic-“hammered”-silver spray paint for $40.53. This means that SXSW owes Trey two quarters and me three pennies…the mother fuckers. (Just kidding, thanks for the badges, SXSW. Love you, thanks for reading our blog in my head)
We glued the sheets together, measured out our letter sizes and carved them out with the hack-saw blades (with makeshift duct-tape handles). Then we sanded them down, and primed and painted them bitches. Seriously, foam insulation sheets are the way to go, bros. They’re light, sturdy, relatively easy to carve/sculpt and they’re cheap.
Next step is to shoot these on video, see how they look. We’ll post the video up soon.